BENEFITS AT A GLANCE
Medical Health/Dental Plans
- Anthem Blue Cross or United Healthcare Oxford (Point of Service, Point of Enrollment and Gatekeeper plans offered).
- CIGNA or United Healthcare Dental Plans.
Depending on the plan choice, nontaxable premiums are deducted for employees and dependents.
All plans include prescription drug coverage with reasonable co pays. Employees may switch medical/dental plans annually during the open enrollment month. Employees may add a spouse or dependents to their coverage in accordance with plan provisions.
See more information at www.osc.state.ct.us/empret/indxhlth
- Choice of contributory retirement plans:
- Teachers retirement system (7.25% contribution, plus Medicare deduction).
State Employees Retirement System (Tier III, 2% contribution, plus Social Security and Medicare deduction). Generous medical insurance benefits on retirement with 15 years of state service; 3% of salary contribution to Retiree Health Fund required for 10 years.
Tax Sheltered Annuity Accounts and/or Deferred Compensation
Both the Tax Sheltered Annuity and Deferred Compensation Programs offer a comprehensive choice of investment vehicles administered by Prudential. Contribution limit is $17,500 in each program.
See more information at: www.osc.state.ct.us/empret/defcomp/index and www.osc.state.ct.us/empret/403bprogram/index
Group Life Insurance:
- Basic Group Life Insurance program underwritten by Fort Dearborn Life Insurance Company.
- Term life is offered after six months of employment underwritten by Fort Dearborn Life Insurance Company.
- No evidence of insurability is required if insurance is accepted at initial employment.
- Fifty-percent paid- up policy upon retirement with 25 years of participation in group life plan. Policy value is approximately $4,000 greater than base annual salary.
- Optional additional supplemental group life insurance available up to $50,000.
- Universal Whole Life Insurance available through ING Employee Benefits.
Miscellaneous Benefits Section:
- Short-term disability insurance programs available by payroll deduction through Colonial Supplemental Insurance Company and Lincoln National.
- Long-term disability insurance programs available by payroll deduction through The Hartford.
- Auto and homeowners insurance available by payroll deduction through MetLife, Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and Travelers.
- Long-term Care insurance available by payroll deduction through TransAmerica.
- Payroll deduction available for Dependent Care Assistance Program and Connecticut Higher Education Trust and Qualified Transportation accounts.
- Medical flexible spending account.
BENEFITS OF EMPLOYMENT
- 188-day work year.
- Wages prorated for teachers who work fewer than 188 days.
- Salary increases as provided for in the collective bargaining agreement.
- Sick leave accrual of 15 days per school year for full-time instructors and 70 hours per school year for part-time instructors, with unlimited carryover from year to year.
- After three years of employment, employee can elect to participate in the sick leave bank.
- Personal leave for instructors. Full-time instructors appointed before April 1st will be credited with three personal leave days per school year on appointment. Part-time instructors get 7 hours per school year.
- Tuition reimbursement available for relevant coursework in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Direct deposit paycheck to most financial institutions.
- Travel reimbursement for expenses accrued on approved state business, paid in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Maternity, child rearing and family leave unpaid leave as determined by federal and state law, and the union contract.
- Paid military leave for required field training (annual training/summer camp) after completion of one full year of service.
- Semiannual longevity payments to employees with more than 10 years of eligible service.
- Opportunity to work in and be compensated for supplemental programs and activities, including summer school, evening school programs, adult education, coaching and class advising
- Professional Development, in-service training courses, and workshops.