Modern scientific and technological progress demands a multi-discipline approach and thorough training in the sciences builds technical competence in food science and technology. Students enrolled in the CTECS Culinary Arts program are trained in all phases of the food service industry. Students receive the foundational knowledge and skills needed to enter a career in culinary arts or food technology or transition into post-secondary education.
The Culinary Arts students take the “hands-on” approach with their training through the use of fully stocked and operational commercial kitchens to produce food in large quantities, as well as smaller scale kitchens that train students on casual and fine dining. All 18 of our Culinary Arts programs have fully operational restaurants which are open to the public. These restaurants are run by our students as part of the Restaurant Management portion of our curriculum.
Students advance from our American Culinary Federation (ACF) accredited program with ServSafe certification, Allergen Certification, and the ability to obtain the Certified Head Chef (CHC) certification through the ACF.
Through existing articulation agreements with area Community Colleges as well as Johnson & Whales University (RI), students will receive college credits upon graduation.
To learn more about our program offerings, please view our Program of Studies.
• Practice Shop Safety
• Understand career opportunities in the Food Service Industry
• Understand Culinary functions and equipment
• Demonstrate proficiency in knife cuts and cooking methodology
• Meet HACCP principles with acceptable industry and safety standards
• Demonstrate mathematical conversions with scaling food recipes and dietary requirements
• Demonstrate and apply ServSafe principles to Front of House and Bask of House Service.
• Operate full function Public dining room with menu development and cost factors
• ServSafe Mangers Certification
• ServSafe Allergen Certification
• Certified Head Chef Certification
• Executive Chef
• Sous Chef
• Line Cook
• Prep Cook
• Food Scientist
• Food Service Management
• Banquet & Catering Services
• Bakery Chef
Program Locations in CT
• A.I. Prince Tech, Hartford
• Bristol Tech Center, Bristol
• Bullard-Havens, Bridgeport
• E.C. Goodwin Tech, New Britain
• Eli Whitney Tech, Hamden
• Ella T. Grasso Tech, Groton
• Emmett O’Brien Tech, Ansonia
• H.C Wilcox Tech, Meriden
• Harvard H. Ellis Tech, Danielson
• Henry Abbott Tech, Danbury
• Howell Cheney Tech, Manchester
• J.M. Wright Tech, Stamford
• Norwich Tech, Norwich
• Oliver Wolcott Tech, Torrington
• Platt Tech, Milford
• Vinal Tech, Middletown
• W.F. Kaynor Tech, Waterbury
• Windham Tech, Willimantic