Students enrolled in the CTECS mechanical design and engineering technology (MDET) program are given instruction in and demonstrate skills and knowledge for entry-level employment in the ever-changing engineering environment. Students are introduced as early as 9th grade to elements of the design process, industry standards, and documenting design specifications through this project-based curriculum. Students advance using 3D solid modeling software for reverse engineering solutions of existing mechanical designs. Every one of our MDET sites has 3D printing capabilities, encouraging manufacturers to collaborate with our students on developing new designs and prototypes.
Students receive 540 hours of instruction in the career/technical program each year.
Students are eligible to participate in work-based learning (WBL) in grades 11 & 12. This program allows companies to hire students during the school day to work in mechanical design and engineering. Students will get credit for their work experience and it is an important pipeline for getting our students into industry.
To learn more about our program offerings, please view our Program of Studies.
• Practice Shop Safety
• Understand career opportunities in the engineering, drafting and manufacturing industry
• Understand and apply ANSI & ASME drafting standards.
• Understand manufacturing and engineering processes
• Demonstrate understanding of 2D and 3D CAD programs
• Demonstrate the proper use of common drawing/measuring instruments
• Create a working set of engineering drawings
• Demonstrate orthographic projection
• Demonstrate dimensioning and applying tolerances per industry standards
• Identify threads and demonstrate proper selection of fasteners
• Demonstrate design principles and practices
• Demonstrate proper work ethics, habits, and attitude for success in the workplace.
• Certified SolidWorks Associate (CSWA) Credential
• OSHA 1910 (General Industry) certification
• Mechanical drafter
• Technical writer
• Industrial engineering technician
• Mechanical engineering technician
• Mechanical designer/engineer
• Manufacturing Engineering
Program Locations in CT
• E.C. Goodwin Tech, New Britain
• Eli Whitney Tech, Hamden
• Emmett O’Brien Tech, Ansonia
• Grasso Tech, Groton
• Henry Abbott Tech, Danbury
• Howell Cheney Tech, Manchester
• Oliver Wolcott Tech, Torrington
• Platt Tech, Milford
• Vinal Tech, Middletown
• W.F. Kaynor Tech, Waterbury